The Downtown Yakima Farmers Market is committed to providing fresh, healthy, local foods for everyone.
The Food Access program is a win-win for the Downtown Yakima Farmers Market. Those in our community who rely on EBT/SNAP/WIC can now purchase fresh, healthy, local foods and farmers can expect to see additional sales.
Use EBT at the Market
Here is how it works: at the Information Booth, market staff will swipe your EBT card for the amount you request. You will be given red inked tokens in $1 increments to buy fresh foods (anything except cut flowers, alcohol, and food/drink that is intended to be consumed on site). The tokens do not expire and are good only at the Downtown Yakima Farmers Market.
Vendors cannot give change back on tokens, so consider bringing some extra coin change with you to make your purchases.
For information on applying for EBT benefits call 1-877-501-2233 or visit the website.
This is an exciting opportunity for low-income individuals to maximize their SNAP funds while shopping at the market. SNAP Market Match are dollar-sized paper vouchers redeemable for all fresh fruit and vegetable purchases at any participating farmers market in Washington. SNAP Market Match come in amounts of $1. Change cannot be given. Individuals receive an unlimited dollar-for-dollar match of their SNAP spending at the market, increasing their ability to buy healthy, fresh fruits and veggies.
- Go to the Information Booth.
- Swipe your EBT card and redeem your desired amount of SNAP bucks.
- Double your EBT dollars now with no limit!
- For every SNAP dollar you spend, you will receive a dollar-for-dollar match in SNAP Market Match. For example: spend $6 in SNAP, receive another $6 in additional produce; spend $20 in SNAP, receive $20 in produce.
- Shop from any eligible vendor using your SNAP Bucks.
SNAP Market Match 1) Can only be used to purchase fresh produce such as: fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, herbs, and vegetable starts; 2) Can be used at any of the farmers markets that accept SNAP Market Match; and 3) Expire at the end of the 2020 Farmers Market season (expiration listed on the voucher).
Use WIC / Senior FMNP at the Market
The Downtown Yakima Farmers Market also participates in the Farmers Market Nutrition Program (FMNP). This program offers checks to those in the Women’s, Infant’s and Children’s (WIC) program as well as the Senior FMNP program. FMNP checks are specifically for purchasing fresh fruits and vegetables at farmers markets. WIC & Senior FMNP vouchers are either distributed or mailed to applicants by the local organization they have worked to register for the program.
Look for farm booths displaying this sign at the market to use your WIC or Senior FMNP checks.
Vendors cannot give cash change – you must spend the entire amount of the check, so consider bringing some extra coin change with you to make your purchases.
How to apply
For more information about WIC FMNP, please contact the following:
- Call 211
- DSHS all 1-800-841-1410 or visit the website
- Neighborhood Health at 509-454-4143 or visit the website
For more information about the Senior FMNP, you may contact any of the following:
- Call 211
- SE Washington Aging & Long Term Care (ALTC) at 509-469-0500 or visit the website
- Yakama Nation – Contact Charlotte Gonzales at 509-865-7164
- People for People at 211 or 1-877-211-9274
- Neighborhood Health at at 509-454-4143 or visit the website
Food Access Partnerships across Washington State
Learn more about Food Access efforts by Farmers Markets across Washington State.