Read on to learn more about our extensive market modifications, shopper behavior expectations, and the standards Downtown Yakima Farmers Markets is committed to in order to limit the spread of COVID-19.
Starting May 23rd, we need you to help protect public health and our community by following these guidelines.
Shoppers, you have the important duty of displaying excellent behavior in and around the market. All of us here at Downtown Association of Yakima, including our volunteers and vendors, will be responsible for implementing the agreed-upon plans to keep everyone safe while we help feed our community.
Downtown Yakima Farmers Market
- No one is permitted into the market before 9am.
- You can enter and exit on both the South & North ends of the market.
It is vital that everyone act in these efforts together to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The safety and health of our shoppers, vendors, volunteers and staff is critical – this is our primary concern and if we falter, we risk the closure of our market. All DYFM staff, volunteers and vendors (and shoppers) must stay home if they are sick, experiencing symptoms, or have been knowingly exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Shopper Behavior Expectations:
Before the market:
- Make a list.
- Grab your face mask/shield! DYFM will enforce the WA state face mask mandate. Face masks/shields must be worn while inside the market premises.
- Preorder and prepay from vendors if possible. Check website for our shoppers sourcing list.
- Designate one shopper per household wherever possible.
- Service dogs are permitted otherwise please, please, PLEASE leave your pets at home.
- Go to the bathroom prior. We do not have public restrooms available until further notice.
- Bring reusable bags – these are permitted, but you will be the only person touching them.
- Check yourself – stay home if you are sick or if you’ve been in contact with someone who is sick.
During your market visit:
- Please be alert! The market has major modifications and there are new signs to help you move through the market.
- Please do not touch multiple products unless you plan to purchase them. If you’re unsure of the products ripeness, ask the vendor to find the right item versus touching everything.
- Maintain 6 feet of space at all times. This is crucial! Look for physical cues like tape, cones, chalk, and signs all around you as a reminder.
- Shop quickly and efficiently. This isn’t the time to chat. Big smiles welcome!
- Wash/sanitize hands often especially after going to the bathroom, before eating, and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, mouth, and face in general.
Market Modifications + Altered Operations Include:
- Modified layouts to ensure at least 6’ between vendor booths (per DOH Farmers Market guidelines).
- Limited market entrances to control the capacity and foot traffic during market.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided throughout the layout inside the market.
- There is no sampling until further notice.
- No public seating areas.
- No eating inside the market area.
Volunteer, Staff and Vendor Responsibilities:
- All vendors, volunteers and staff are required to wear protective face mask/shield and ensure regular and proper handwashing.
- Vendors, volunteers, and staff will politely ask you to keep moving so we can serve as many shoppers as possible.
- All DYFM volunteers and staff will be required to wear face masks/shields and conduct regular handwashing.
- Surfaces and ‘high touch’ items such as tables, POS terminals, cash boxes, etc. will be sanitized regularly.
- DYFM market staff will be assigned to conduct regular and ongoing checks for hand sanitation stations, proper bleach solutions, and sanitizing supplies in addition to our regular food safety controls.
It is vital that everyone act in these efforts together to reduce the spread of COVID-19. The safety and health of our shoppers, farmers, volunteers and staff is critical – this is our primary concern and if we falter, we risk the closure of our market. All DYFM volunteers, staff and vendors (and shoppers) must stay home if they are sick, experiencing symptoms, or have been knowingly exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19.
Thank you for your patience and understanding!